Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pins that work!!!

I am a Pinterest-aholic.  There, I said it.  Ha ha...as if those of you who know me don't already know that.  It's a fun way to relax and get ideas.  I hesitate to say "good" ideas.  Nothing is more annoying or frustrating than finding a great idea on Pinterest and then when you click on it, it doesn't go to an actual website or have instructions that you can actually follow.  Some stuff is just visual and I can figure it out or get inspiration all on my own.  Well, there is one thing more annoying.  The pins that proclaim, "BEST RECIPE EVER!" and then when you make it, it tastes like death.  I recall a certain breakfast in a mug recipe that was supposed to yield delicious fluffy oatmeal and eggs.  I followed the directions to a "T" and the stuff was like a tasteless brick.  Had to throw the mug away too.  Egh!  So, in light of that, this post is dedicated to pins that actually work!

Yesterday, I got into a cleaning frenzy.  At one point, Husband, who was getting himself ready to go duck hunting Saturday, and who usually asks me to help him find various things, came into the kitchen and said, "I don't know what's wrong with you, but I'm going to leave you alone."  Ha!!

So, I started with the kitchen.  My initial thought was to wash the dishes and wipe down the counters and be done with it.  What ended up happening was far more involved.  I had pinned the name of a product that claimed to have miraculous cleaning benefits.  being a somewhat skeptical person, I went to the hardware store and bought this miracle product in both forms available.  Oh, what is it?  The most amazing cleaner on the planet.


My kitchen sink is old.  It has seen many pots and pans and because we have well water, the mineral stains get pretty bad.  I have tried Comet and Clorox Clean Up with Bleach.  I have tried ridiculous amounts of product and elbow grease with no luck.  Here is my sink, pre-Bar Keeper's Friend:


Here is after:


Amazing difference!  Even the drain area got super clean.  I am a fan.  I also attacked the bathroom sink, which also looks new-ish!  Fifty year old sink and it looks like we just put it in.  No photos though......I was on a roll!  So, what else did Bar Keeper's Friend take care of?  


Gross grease stains and baked on stuff!

Soaking with Bar Keeper's Friend

After a little scrubbing and a new set of burner rings:

Like new!!

And my last project is without photos, but I took a bowl of vinegar and put it in the microwave.  I microwaved it on high for 4 minutes (beware the smell is ferocious) and then let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes.  Then I took a paper towel and wiped (!!!!!) the inside of the microwave clean!!  It has never been so clean!  Oh I'm such a happy camper!  After all this cleaning and several glasses of wine and I was done for the evening.  Well, at least with cleaning.  I did manage to do another load of laundry and cut out Husband's laminated test answer sheets, all 78 of them, (that was unpleasant).  I have another sink tonight and a smelly garbage can to clean.  Laundry...egh.





No comments:

Post a Comment